Thursday, August 11, 2011

What I Have Learned Walking to Work

As many of you know this summer I have been walking to work. This is the first time in my adult life that I have been forced to walk to work and it's been a very new experience for me.

Today I am getting my new car. I am counting down the hours this morning. I have to go to the DMV for my temp plates, stop at my bank for the withdrawal, do an interview someone for a magazine article and then get my car! I am so excited I could just... well...

Yesterday on my way to work I was thinking about the things I have learned this summer while walking. I started making a list...

I have learned to close my eyes when a tractor trailer truck flies past because a cloud of sand is likely to follow.

I have learned to keep an eye on large puddles.

I have learned that some people slow down when they see a pedestrian near a puddle and wave politely as they avoid splashing you.

Some people don't. Those same people don't stop when you're in a crosswalk.
(I don't blame those people. I assume they have a lot on their minds. And I'm not in a hurry.)

I've learned that some places I frequently drive to aren't as far away as I thought.

I've learned some other places I frequently drive to are much further than I thought.

I've learned I don't need to carry nearly as much in my bag as I always do, but I do always need a warm shirt, an extra bottle of water and a notebook because inspiration is everywhere.

I've learned that listening to upbeat slam poetry makes me walk faster, but it is also likely to make me look like a fool as I laugh hysterically on the sidewalk.

I've learned that I'm okay with looking like a fool.

I've learned that when you're walking there is almost always a straight path to where you need to go that you can't take when driving.

...and the scenery is usually better on that path.

No comments:

Post a Comment