Sunday, July 24, 2011

Religion and Politics - Taboo?

We've all heard the phrase "Never talk religion and politics in polite company."

I don't like this concept. Can we only discuss this in impolite company then? Are we not able to discuss these topics politely?

How will we ever find progress if we all just stick to what we believe in and discuss it only with those who believe the same thing? We need to branch out and explore other opinions in order to evolve and become better people.

We need that uncomfortable discussion. We will only move forward with it. We need to have accepting, positive, educated conversations. We need to explore each other's beliefs with an open mind and a beautiful sense of respect.

And we need to be open to changing our minds. "Changing your mind is one of the best ways of figuring out if you still have one." -Taylor Mali

The key is not to avoid controversial topics. It is to learn how to discuss them politely and in the right time and place. Don't assume everything your chosen political party does is right, and don't assume everything the other party does is wrong. Find out why, open your mind, and see if maybe you can find the good there.

Many people have said to me, "you don't want to hear my views on that topic." Not true! Actually, you are exactly who I do want to talk to. I want to understand. I want to know. I want you to see my point of view and I want to see your point of view. I want us to find a platform that we can stand on together to bring this world closer to a point of peace and harmony and equality for all.

Are you far right? Far left? I bet we can agree on something. So let's talk. Let's find that something. We are all still looking for the same things in this world. Let's find a way to them together through healthy, mature discussion and debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment