Monday, January 22, 2018

Rebel Alliance Hat

This design is free for your use. I don't own the rebel alliance logo, obviously, so I’m not going to try to make money off of it. I just think we should all be rebels and we should all have rebel hats! Plus, Long Live General Leia.

Please use the hashtag #KatrinaDesigns if you post your work on social networking so I can see what you create.

This hat fits most adults.

I used 16 inch circular needles in size 13, 9.0mm. I switched to double-pointed needles in the same size for the crown.

I used Patons Classic Wool Roving Yarn for my hats.
Color A – Dark Grey
Color B – Plum

Any chunky yarn would work. Adjust your pattern for your head size and your yarn if need be. For instance, I've also made a baby hat with this pattern, using a smaller yarn and casting on 56 to start. With the baby hat I repeated the chart 4 times. It just required some math. (Yuck. Math.) (Seriously, though, email me. I’ll help you adjust the pattern.)  

CO 44 st in Color A – Join in the round
(K1, P1) for rows 1-5 (I’ve done a few hats with different ribbing in this design, but the one with this ribbing I felt looked the nicest.) 
Row 6 – K11, M1, K11, M1, K11, M1, K11, M1,
Rows 7 - 9 Knit 
Rows 10-22 Knit 3 in Color A, Knit Chart, repeat three times

Note: Make sure to keep a close eye on the tension while knitting this part of this hat. Because the sections of Color B are so wide, it's easy to end up with either super long ladders, or stitches too tight to fit around the head afterward. Test it as you go, if need be.

After knitting the full chart cut and tie off Color B. The crown is in Color A.

Knit in Color A for five rows.

Hat should measure about 7 inches at this point. If it doesn't yet, knit a few more rows until it does.

This is my method for the crown:

I put 4 stitch markers evenly distributed around the hat. The first one is usually in a different color so I can still keep track of my rounds. Then, as I knit around, I knit 2 together before each stitch marker until there are 12 stitches left. Somewhere in there the hat will become too small for your circular needles, and you’ll need to switch to double-pointed needles. Then bind off and tie. Weave ends in.







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! I'm making mittens for my son and this chart is perfect for making this design on the hands!

    ReplyDelete