Friday, January 29, 2016

Nazi’s, Amelia Earhart and how God Edited Creation

Three mismatched book reviews. God's Little Red PenGod's Little Red Pen by Christopher Ell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a delightful read. I get a lot of requests from Indie Authors for reviews, and this is easily one of my favorites. I could use this in a writing class as inspirational reading for students studying theology. It has the wit and sarcasm of “Zeus Grants Stupid Wishes.” This book is about the creation of the world, told comedically and with a sense of imagination. Remember Robin William’s bit about whether or not God was stoned when he made the platypus? Well, it turns out he wasn’t stoned. Perhaps giddy with exhaustion though... There are a few places where perhaps the sarcasm goes a bit far, but it is still a fun and worthy little read.

View all my reviews Amelia Earhart: Beyond the GraveAmelia Earhart: Beyond the Grave by W.C. Jameson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a well-researched and interesting read about Amelia Earhart's mysterious and fascinating life. It lacks the bells and ribbons many include when they write about her. She is examined honestly, her credits as well as her faults. I will definitely be adding this to my collection of women's history books. It's an important addition.


View all my reviews Stolen Words: The Nazi Plunder of Jewish BooksStolen Words: The Nazi Plunder of Jewish Books by Mark Glickman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Stolen Words: The Nazi Plunder of Jewish Books" by Mark Glickman is a complex, somewhat narrative view of not only the burning and theft of Jewish books, but the entire Jewish relationship with literature. This rich exploration of Jewish history is interspersed with stories about books that refused to burn (who knew it was so difficult to burn a stack of books?) and detailed accounts of how and why Nazis gathered Jewish literature. No matter how much you think you know about the Jewish Holocaust, it's unlikely you know this side of it. Well-researched and engaging, I highly suggest this book to history buffs and book enthusiasts alike.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment