Sunday, February 17, 2013

Gram's Coffee Cup

Whenever you are asked that ever popular party question, "if your house was on fire what would you save?" What is your response?

Mine is this coffee cup. Of course given enough time I would also want to save my external hard drive and my trunk of journals. And the pets come above all material objects. But this coffee cup is what I would save.

I would save it because when I hold the handle I remember what her hands looked like holding it, and the sound of her laughter while she played a game of Yahtzee.

When I see the coffee stains in it I remember how her house smelled always of coffee and the woods.

I keep the obituaries of all my grandparents, my uncle, and a few other special items in it.

I miss my gram, some days more than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment