Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To Publish or Not to Publish...

The great debate after completing a piece of creative non-fiction for me is... Do I publish this?

I've learned to stop asking myself that while I'm writing a piece or I'll never finish anything. It's too raw and too personal to debate that while writing something based on my own life.

Afterward there are so many questions.

Can I reveal this much of myself?
Can I reveal this much of people I love/loved/ran into in the park?
Will they be mad at me?
Will I be mad at me?

And of course the biggie... Who will care to read this?

A good friend gave me this advice: Life is for living.

If I don't attempt to publish it I'm just wasting my time. I'm hiding my living self in a notebook in a rubbermaid tote in the "Spare 'Oom" of my apartment. I need to live out there in the world with the other people.

Aren't I the person who is always saying that we, as a species, need to be more honest and open?

Yeah, that's right. That's me.

So I have to be the change I wish to see in the world, right? That's another one of those things I say.

It's so much easier to give advice than to take it.

Thanks for listening to me debate myself on this one. Can't seem to talk myself out of it so I guess this means I'm off to write a cover letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment