Monday, May 14, 2012

Malaga Island and the Daunting Task of Historical Fiction

I have hesitantly taken on a new and intimidating venture: historical fiction. Oscar Wilde said, "Anybody can make history; only a great man can write it." History is scary, but it is also one of my favorite things. I am fascinated by stories of the past. The simultaneous simplicity and complication, the beauty and horror. It started with Laura Ingalls Wilder, and has remained a life long love.

I have recently been captivated by the mysterious history of Malaga Island. Malaga is off the coast of Phippsburg, ME. In 1912 the Maine government evicted the 45 people who were living on the island. This move was spurred on by economic strife, eugenics and racial prejudice, according to most of the experts in the field. The Maine State Museum is opening a new exhibit about Malaga on the 19th of May and I can't wait.

Since most of my closest friends are probably tired of hearing me talk about Malaga I won't include more details, but Malaga: A Story Best Left Untold is a good website about it, with an interesting radio documentary.

Anyone else felt the terrifying exhilaration of historical fiction before?

No comments:

Post a Comment