Tuesday, April 5, 2011

BookGeek

I’m caught up in “Memoirs of a Geisha” and it is making it very difficult for me to think about anything else. I don’t want to blog or do homework or watch television. I just want to read this book. Since I can’t think about anything but this book I figured I would write about books in general, and my obsession/relationship with them.

I’m not really sure when I started to read but my mother loves to tell people that I was reading very young and was telling everyone I just “memorized” so that people wouldn’t get all excited that I could read so young. I’ve never really enjoyed being the center of attention I guess. As a child I devoured everything I could get my hands on. I was a big fan of Nancy Drew and The Boxcar Children.

I’m really excited to see “Water for Elephants” which comes out April 22nd. One of my favorite books of all time. I didn’t want that book to end when I read it. I'm praying that the movie version doesn't completely stink and I'm putting all my faith in Reese Witherspoon.

I'm still just as hooked on books today as I was when I was young so I wanted to share two book-related websites that I frequent often.

The first site is www.goodreads.com. On goodreads you can rate and review all the books you’ve read, develop a list of books to read (mine currently has 251 books on it) and you can take quizzes about literature, join groups that are about your favorite genre or authors. I love this site.

The other site I wanted to share is www.bookmooch.com. On bookmooch you can trade books with other people. You create a list of books you’re willing to give away and when someone requests one you mail it to them. Once it is received you get points toward requesting your own books.

Okay, that’s all the time I can take from reading. I’m going back to my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment