Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Internet: The Land Of Opportunity

Have you heard of Meghan Tonjes? She is a beautiful singer who was on The Ellen Show last week.



Meghan fascinates me. She has a beautiful voice but that isn't what amazes me. Meghan created a career out of youtube. She is 23 years old and in 2005 she began to play guitar. In 2006 she started posting videos of herself on youtube. Her youtube channel had around 5,000,000 views as of when she was on Ellen, and I'm sure it grew after that. She is releasing a cd on itunes soon.

The ability to market yourself, create your own corner of the internet and build a career off of it absolutely fascinates me. Julie Powell is another one that has done this. She created a blog to cook her way through Julia Child's cookbook and it became a book and a movie. The internet holds these amazing possibilities for all of us. You don't need to find someone with money to support your career. You can create your own life on the internet. In the case of Meghan Tonjes, she didn't even have to leave her bedroom!

So I figure I can do this right? All I need is to come up with a brilliant and original idea and build it into a blog that could create my entire career.

I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment