Saturday, August 30, 2014

When I Came Out

The year I was born Berkley, CA was the first location in the US to offer domestic partner benefits to city employees.

When I was in the first grade Hong Kong, Ukraine and the Bahamas decriminalized homosexuality.

The year I first admitted to myself I might be gay Ellen Degeneres came out, her career tanked and her show was pulled from the air.

The year I came out to my closest friends Matthew Shepard was killed and I heard people applaud his death as "one less queer."

The year I graduated high school Canada passed a law to allow civil unions.

The first year I could legally drink The Simpson's became the first television show to dedicate an entire episode to the topic of legal gay marriage.

I am thirty years old. In my lifetime nineteen states have legalized same-sex marriage. There are same-sex couples dancing on So You Think You Can Dance. There are so many homosexual people in public office I can't keep track. Ellen has one of the top rated talk shows of all time. Headlines this morning informed me that "gay neighborhoods" are no longer necessary and are becoming a thing of the past. A transgendered woman walked the red carpet at the Emmy's last weekend and the only thing they asked her was "what are you wearing?" And I can say "my wife" with little more than an extra blink from most people I meet.

If you consider the recent video of Daniel Pierce it can feel like we aren't getting anywhere, and we really do have a long way to go. There are too many children terrified to come out. There are too many people still being discriminated against. We are far from done.

But sometimes I just have to sit back and think... Wow. Look what has happened. Look how we've grown. How incredible is it that I've gotten to witness such amazing things first hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment