Friday, July 6, 2012

Life in a Day - experience everything

I just finished watching "Life in a Day" and I am blown away. Blown away by the feelings... The emotions. The celebration of life and diversity. Of beauty and tragedy.

I got thinking afterward about the reasons we - the collective we of all life - can create these things. The beauty of this world. Of this life. The similar and opposite ways we each move through our day, from when we first open our eyes, to the moment we close them again.

I spent an hour yesterday with my hands over the hands of a blind 7 year old boy showing him where all the countries in the world are. He can't see a map, and we didn't have a globe so we improvised. We used a beach ball and ran off of my memory (thank you Mrs. Carver from my high school) and I showed him each continent and where he is and where all the people he knows live. Then we used a puzzle map to look at the shape of each US state and Canadian province.

He wanted to know where the earth is compared to other planets.

We pretended he was the sun, the beach ball was the earth and my hands represented all the other planets.

The world felt simultaneously huge and small... Powerful and fragile. And he asked why we don't live on Mars yet.

Moments like that are the moments we should focus on. That is the beauty of life. That is what my recent struggles have prevented me from experiencing and enjoying.

Life is for the living.

No comments:

Post a Comment