Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Being a Writer

mindbump suggested by Altered Words

"In Letters to a Young Poet, Rainer Maria Rilke wrote to young Franz Kappus '...If you wake up every morning thinking about being a writer, then you were meant to be a writer.' What do you wake up every morning thinking about being? "


When I woke up this morning, about ten minutes ago, the first thing I reached for was my laptop. Not for facebook or skype, but to write. I often wake up and reach immediately for a pen and paper. I keep extra notebooks near my bed as well as a few of my favorite writing prompt books and inspirational words.

This semester has been the hardest of my college career, and the most life-changing. Some huge things have happened in my personal life as well as in my future plans. I don't talk about the personal here, but I was accepted to Chester College with a big scholarship. I was told by nearly everyone who knew I had applied that I was going to get in, but I didn't quite believe it and was quite shocked when they called and told me. I was more shocked by the compliments the woman had to give about my writing and the excitement of the school itself. It feels like they want me there nearly as badly as I want to be there.

I have one more semester at the community college and next fall I'll be attending Chester. I will be at a liberal arts school with an amazing writing program and I can't wait. I am looking forward to the inspiration and the challenge.

With everything that has happened this semester, all the tears I have shed and the pain suffered, I am focusing on this future that lays before me. My education, something I waited so long for and wasn't sure I would ever be able to get, has become so important to me. I relish every moment in the classroom and though I was ready for this semester to be over with because of my personal stress, I know once Christmas is over I'll be pining for next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment