Monday, June 27, 2011

Selling My Truck

I hate selling vehicles. I hate buying vehicles. I hate going to car mechanics. I hate all of it. I feel dumb when talking to a mechanic. Since I have no athletic ability I pride myself on my education, so feeling dumb about something is very difficult for me. Half the time I don't even know what mechanics are talking about and I just keep a poker face so that I don't get played. Over the years I've looked back on repairs and realized, to my own embarrassment, that I was played more than once.

My dad isn't exactly Joe-Mechanic. The only person who ever attempted to teach me about vehicles was my uncle and I regret how often I walked away from those conversations. I should have listened to him. Now I want to know what he was trying to tell me. I want to know everything about cars because I'm tired of them breaking down and not being able to repair them myself. Or, worse, having a small issue become a big issue because I don't know the signs to look for.

I've read a few books but I'm really a hands-on kind of girl. I have to touch it, see it, repair it myself in order to understand it. I know a lot about brake systems because I drove an SUV for so many years. If you've never had an SUV you don't realize just how tough they can be on brake systems. But the rest of the vehicle is a mystery to me.

I have a really great mechanic named Brad who takes the time to explain everything to me. I am so grateful to him for the extra time he spends with me, but I wish he didn't have to.

One day - when I'm not busy taking college courses and working multiple jobs - I will take a class on car repair. I'm pretty good with tools, I think I'd be good with cars if I just had the education I need.

Car repair should be a required class in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment